January 5, 2015
A DUI is a serious charge and it comes with serious consequences. Many believe that they can fight the charges themselves. However, by doing this, you will be gambling with your freedom and your ability to drive. You want someone familiar with the court system who has extended knowledge of the court systems on your side. This is especially true if the charge you are facing is not your first DUI. Learn why having an experienced attorney fighting for you is the smartest decision you could make.
What You Will Be Facing
When you are charged with a DUI, you may be facing some serious penalties, especially if you have been charged previously. In Florida, if you have been charged with a DUI, you can expect the following consequences:
- First Conviction: Fines from $500 to $2,000 and a mandatory 50 hours of community service. You will also be placed on probation for up to one year and can spend up to six months in jail or more if you have a higher blood alcohol content (BAC). Your driver’s license will also be revoked for up to a year.
- Second Conviction: Fine from $1,000 to $4,000 and up to nine months of jail time. However, if you have a higher BAC than .15 or you had minor in the car, then you will face up to a year in prison. Your driver’s license will also be revoked for five years, however you may apply for a hardship license after one year.
- Third Conviction: Fine will range from $2,000 to $5,000. If it is your third DUI within 10 years, then you will have a mandatory 30 days in jail and could be facing up to a year in prison. Your driver’s license will be revoked for a minimum of 10 years.
- Four or More Convictions: There is a $2,000 minimum fine, and you can face up to five years in prison. After the fifth conviction, you will have your license permanently revoked.
How Can an Attorney Help Me?
When it comes to a DUI charge, the last thing you want to do is go to court alone. There is a wide range of possible punishments you could be facing, and a DUI lawyer may help reduce your fines and sentencing as much as possible, especially if this is not your first offense. With an attorney on your side, you will find that:
- You will get an honest assessment of your case
- The legal process is made more manageable
- You will be better prepared for court
Hiring an attorney for your case is the best possible way to get a reduced sentence for your DUI charge. So do not gamble with your freedom. If you or someone you love is facing a DUI charge, call the Khonsari Law Group today for a free consultation. Speak with us today and discover the difference an experienced criminal defense attorney can make.