The process of adopting a child is filled with challenges. Many parents find themselves struggling to manage the legal requirements that go along with the adoption process—including the financial challenges. Adopting a child can take up to five years, depending on the circumstances and agency you’re working with. If you need an adoption attorney to help you complete your family, contact us today at (727) 269-5300; our team of experienced attorneys can show you how to navigate the adoption process successfully.
Our Past Successes
At Khonsari Law Group, we have extensive experience in a variety of adoption cases. We’ve successfully helped families adopt children from a variety of circumstances, including children who are already biologically related to the adopting parents, and children who have no biological relationship to their parents. Our associates passionately represent the interests of adoptive parents and are eager to help you welcome the newest member of your family with as little challenge, expense, and stress as possible.
What Adoption Cases Do We Take?
You may need an adoption attorney for a variety of reasons, and at many stages in the adoption process. At Khonsari Law Group, we have considerable experience in several key areas of the adoption process, including:
- Connecting prospective adoptive parents with an agency that will then help them find a child to add to their family
- Navigating prearranged adoptions when a pregnant mother is not able to care for her child and wishes to give up custody
- Helping adoptive parents obtain legal custody when the child has been abandoned in their care
- Helping parents legally adopt members of their biological family whose parents are no longer able to care for them
- Helping stepparents adopt their spouse’s children when the child’s non-custodial parent is not involved
- Completing the adoption process for families whose adoption efforts are stalled
No matter the circumstances, you want this child to be a member of your family permanently—and we want to help you meet that goal. If you’re involved in an adoption case and need assistance, contact one of our associates for a free consultation as soon as possible.
What Hurdles Stand in the Way of Adoption?
There are many hurdles that can make the adoption process more difficult for both the adoptive parent(s) and the child. These can include:
- Struggling with the legal requirements of another country, if you’re adopting a child from overseas.
- Navigating the expenses associated with the adoption or the child’s birth: in some cases, for example, adoptive parents may pay the medical bills or living expenses of the expectant mother while she is pregnant.
- Special visa requirements associated with international adoptions.
- Struggling with parents who don’t wish to relinquish their rights.
- Finding parents who have disappeared so that they can relinquish their rights.
- Ensuring that the rights of the birth parents and the child are carefully met in all situations, including those in which the birth parents must give up custody.
- Waiting for adoption agencies and other relevant agencies to file the necessary paperwork.
- It’s critical to consult an adoption attorney who can navigate many of these challenges.
What Can Stand in the Way of the Adoption Process?
In many cases, the adoption process moves fairly smoothly—especially if you’re working with an adoption agency to adopt a child whose biological parents have already relinquished custody. In some cases, however, you may find that there are hurdles to the adoption process: most notably, biological parents who have either a) not relinquished custody, or b) can not be found to relinquish custody. This can be particularly difficult if you’re attempting to legally adopt a child who has been abandoned into your care. In this case, having a lawyer on your side is one of the most effective ways to ensure that you are able to protect your child.
How Much Does an Adoption Attorney Cost?
The adoption process isn’t just a long one; it can also be an expensive one! If you’re worried about the costs associated with your adoption, or are concerned about what the process may look like, contact us for a free consultation. We’ll discuss your case with you, and help you improve your understanding of the adoption process: you’ll have a better idea of what to expect moving forward, and the support of Khonsari Law Group in the event of a challenge or dispute. No matter where you are in the adoption process, we’re here to help! We want to ensure that you will be able to add the newest member of your family as quickly and painlessly as possible. Contact us at (727) 269-5300 to learn how.