KLG Header Image

I Was Arrested. Who Can See My Arrest Record?

I Was Arrested. Who Can See My Arrest Record?

Millions of people have been arrested with the charges being dismissed, or they were found not guilty in a trial. What they usually don’t realize is that records of their arrest still remain with local law enforcement, the Florida State Police and the FBI. Anybody can find your arrest record. Criminal record searches are most often made by potential employers, banks or housing providers. If they’re so disposed, even your nosey neighbors can get a copy of your arrest record.

Arrest vs. Conviction

When arrested, you’re taken into custody, charged, and given the opportunity to defend yourself in court. Sometimes charges against a person are dismissed, or they might be found not guilty by a judge or jury. If they’re found guilty, plead guilty, or plead nolo contendere, there’s not only a record of arrest, but there’s also potentially a record of a conviction and sentence.

The Lingering Arrest Record

The old arrest record issue most often arises in the context of a potential employer running a criminal background check on a job applicant. The potential employer might find an arrest from seven or eight years ago. This often gives the employer sufficient reason not to give that employee any further consideration.

Protecting Your Background

Your old arrest record is going to continue to linger if you don’t do anything about it. Florida statutes permit expunction of that record if your charges were dismissed, or you were found not guilty. A court order will issue requiring the circuit court clerk and all local and state law enforcement agencies to remove your arrest record from their systems. Paper files might also be sealed.

Need an Arrest Record Expunged? Khonsari Law Group Can Help

You don’t want the impediments that an arrest record creates. Anybody searching your background can find your arrest record. We’ve successfully obtained expunction orders for many clients. They’re now able to go about their lives with no further consequences from their arrests. If you have a lingering record of an arrest, call the Khonsari Law Group, or use our online contact form for a free consultation.

Share This Post

Schedule a Free Initial Consultation Today

    Related Posts