KLG Header Image

What Happens if My Child Gets a DUI?

What Happens if My Child Gets a DUI?

Being a parent means constantly trying to balance what is best for your child and allowing them to make their own decisions. So when your child is arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol, it can feel as though you have failed them. While you may feel disappointed in their choices, the important thing is to do is stand by them, learn the facts, and get them the help they need. The best way to do this is by hiring a skilled attorney who will represent them when they need it the most.

Florida and Underage Drinking

What it takes to be charged with a DUI for those under the age of 21 is slightly different from those of legal drinking age. Normally, the limit for drinking and driving is .08% blood alcohol content (BAC). However, for those not old enough to drink, that limit is only .02% BAC. This means that even one drink can be enough to land your child with a DUI.

What Penalties Are They Facing?

There are several factors that will dictate the punishment your child receives. Their age, and the BAC will all be taken into account. If your child is under the age of 21 when arrested, they may experience some of the following consequences:  

– BAC of .02% or higher: If this is their first offense, they will have an automatic six-month suspension of their license. Subsequent offenses will result in a one-year suspension.

– BAC of .08% or higher: If their BAC is above the legal limit of .08%, they will face the same charges as any other adult with a DUI would. For their first conviction, this means fines of up to $500, mandated community service, one-year probation, DUI school, and even possible imprisonment. A judge could also order that an ignition interlock be placed in their vehicle.   

Additionally, if your child is under that age of 18, they may have to complete an alcohol education program or go to a facility for addiction.

Protect Your Family – Contact Khonsari Law Group

The best thing you can do after you child has been arrested is contact an experienced and dedicated attorney. If your child has been charged with a DUI, the Khonsari Law Group can help. Call KLG today for a free evaluation of your case.

Share This Post

Schedule a Free Initial Consultation Today

    Related Posts