December 11, 2014
A drug charge is a very serious crime that can have a very negative impact on your life. Even if you are only facing a misdemeanor, you could still be at risk of jail time, probation, and expensive fines. Hiring an experienced and dedicated attorney is the best way to fight for your freedom and to keep your record clean. Learn why hiring an attorney is the best way of handling your drug charges.
Types of Drug Charges
The first step of your defense is to know what kind of drug crime you have been charged with and understanding the possible penalties. In Florida, there are five main categories of drug crimes. These include:
- Possession of Paraphernalia. This is having possession of any equipment or device used to make, prepare, conceal, or use any illegal substance.
- Possession of a Controlled Substance. Both actual and constructive possession can land you with a drug charge in Florida. This means that you either have the illegal substance on you or you have knowledge of the substance and it is accessible to you.
- Manufacturing. Being involved in any step of the production of an illegal substance can lead to a drug manufacturing charge.
- Trafficking. Transporting an illegal substance is a very serious crime, which often leads to a felony charge.
- Sale. This refers to the selling of any controlled substance, normally on a smaller scale than trafficking.
The punishments for these crimes will vary greatly depending on a number of circumstances: the previous criminal history, the amount of drugs found on the person, and of course, whether or not the accused hires an experienced attorney. Some charges may result in probation and fines, however others might lead to serious prison time and even a felony charge.
How an Attorney Helps
Hiring an attorney can give you an immediate advantage. Most individuals charged with a crime do not fully understand how the court system works. If you are in trouble with the law, you want an attorney who has extensive knowledge of the legal court system and the Florida drug laws. An attorney can help you in many ways including:
- Fight the charges
- Identify illegal search and seizure issues
- Arranging a plea deal
- Helping you understand your changes
- Assessing your case
- Simplifying the court process
When you are charged with a drug crime, it can be a scary and confusing time. By hiring an attorney, you know you will have someone on your side, fighting for your rights. If you or someone you know has been convicted of a drug crime, call the Khonsari Law Group today for a free consultation. We will fight vigorously for your case and your freedom. Contact KLG today and discover the difference an experienced criminal defense attorney can make.